Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cooking Lesson #1 - Italian Spaghetti Sauce

       Yesterday I was tasked with making dinner, which I happen to like since I can't make dinner at my house for one person. (My mom would most likely not eat what I cook, or else she would eat a small amount leaving me to consume what's left. That most likely means half of it would be thrown away after sitting in the fridge so about a week or two.) 

The recipe was called Jo Mama's Famous Spaghetti Recipe from Food.com. (Follow the link for the entire recipe.)

The ingredients ran about $36.

Darn onions made my eyes sting!

Browning some Italian sausage.

I have never cooked with garlic before. I had to "mince" it and I had no clue what I was doing.



Added basil, parsley, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper

Never cooked with wine before either. This was a cabernet from Australia called Down Under. It was only $5.99 in the liquor store and pretty tasty too.
My finished product. I was thinking it would have been tasty with a nice Red Wine Sangria, but I didn't have the other ingredients for that so I added orange juice to my red wine. (That really helped out the flavor.) It was some very strong wine too. I got a buzz from just one glass.



I let it simmer for 3 hours to really soak up the flavor. I do believe I did a fabulous job too. The recipe says it makes 10-14 serving so for three people there was a lot of sauce left over. So tomorrow we are gonna try to use the rest to make a lasagna of sorts. I will let you know about the results from that cooking experience at another time.

Stay Sweet, 
          xoxo, am&a lynn

****Also be sure to "like" the new facebook page for my blog at Amanda Explains it all Here. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...