Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chuck Klosterman Lecture

Me with Chuck, its kind of blurry I know but what can you expect from cell phone cameras.

We had a visit today from Chuck Klosterman, renowned journalist and author of books like Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, which has a great essay on Saved by the Bell. I ♥ Zach Morris. Fargo Rock City, a heavy metal oddessey in North Dakota. Killing Yourself to Live, where he visits the death sites of famous rock and roll stars, and also many more. I bought two of his books and of course got him to sign both of them. They are going on my summer reading list.
I admit I had never heard of him before but I find him brilliant. I was introduced to his work through my Mass Communication and Society class. We were talking about pop culture and had to read some of his work. I think my professor for this, "Thanks Dr.Foss!" He is just what I want to be, funny, talented, a famous journalist and author. He gave some aweomse advice today too and now I will share that with you.
Advice to aspiring writers: Write a book that you want to read that does not exist, then make that book exist.

It all happens by chance. The best decisions, the most important ones, you will not know they are important at the time.

Create your own life. There is no normal/right way to become who you want to be,

I heard these and I knew he was talking to me, even if there were over 100 people in the room, he wsa still talking to me. I think I am in love. Kidding, he is engaged. I do find him so adorably cute though. There is something about the red beard that I love. He has inspired me to actually want to write more. I have always loved writing, and always want to write a book I just never had a solid idea. Now I will take his advice and write about something I would want to read.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...